shoplifting In Berkeley, CA at the StopnSteal, 1985

When I was 18 yo, pretty darn poor, a new employee at a lawyers' office as a typist/etc, in Richmond, CA, but had moved to CA  all the way from Maine, as a desperately "needing to get away from family" young lady, I did some shoplifting...and got caught.

And then I went to a therapist, and devised a plan to deal with my loneliness and sense of isolation.

The plan was that every time I felt like shoplifting, I went to the counter and said, "I feel like shoplifting. I'm feeling very lonely."

I also agreed to call 911 (back then it was also a hot-line of sorts), to say the same thing.

That actually helped, and the folks I talked to were pretty darn accepting and comforting.

It's possible!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Medical Bills...

A Paper Bag Floor Over Asbestos Linoleum

James Jennison, as a tenant, Portland, Maine area